Moni here, thanks for stopping by to check out one of my recipe’s. Today, I’m going to take you through my Vegan Quinoa Mac N’ Cheese.
If you’re looking for a protein packed hearty meal, you’re going to love my alternative to Mac N’ Cheese. This recipe uses quinoa instead of macaroni.
Quinoa is naturally gluten-free, high in protein and contains 9 essential amino acids. As well as high in fibre, iron, magnesium and B-vitamins – a perfect swap!
Broccoli is also a great source of calcium (which I mention in my ‘hot tip’). I added a few more veggies in there like peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes, but you can add in which ones you like or have in the cupboard.
Mac N’ Cheese is a huge family favorite of ours, and it’s perfect for when you have everyone together as this recipe serves 8.
We like to serve it with some salad and bread. But since so many different flavors go with this dish, you can really make it your own while staying healthy!
If you enjoy this recipe, show me some love in the comments section!
Moni’s Quinoa Mac N’ Cheese Recipe (Vegan)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced tomato
- 1 diced onion
- 1 red/green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- a few grinds of seasoning salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup of almond milk (or other milk alternative if you prefer)
- 2 cups of grated Vegan cheese, plus some more for sprinkling on top
- Bread crumbs for topping (optional)
- Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, scallions (you get the picture)
Moni’s Hot Tip:
This is by far more nutrient dense than the traditional Mac N’ Cheese with macaroni (as much as I love those tiny tubes of pasta goodness). So it’s safe to say my quinoa Mac N’ Cheese certainly classes as ‘healthy’ anyway.
But to make it even more ‘healthy’ and add in some greens, I sometimes throw some broccoli into this recipe; the kids have never complained or picked out the broccoli, so it’s an easy way to get your children to eat greens!
To make adding broccoli easy, I just boil it separately and add it in when throwing the milk and cheese over the quinoa (just before step #5 below)…
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ 160 C fan and grease your dish (I suggest 13 x19) with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or frying pan over a medium heat and add the tomatoes, onions, peppers, butternut squash and mushrooms (or whatever veggies you’re using). Cook for 5 minutes or until they’re tender.
- Stir in the quinoa and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, when the quinoa turns opaque (not fully cooked yet).
- Add 3 cups of water, season with salt and pepper, then cover and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Then remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour almond milk into the quinoa mixture and mix it in. Add the Vegan cheese and stir very well, melting some of the cheese.
- Transfer to your greased dish and sprinkle the breadcrumbs and some grated cheddar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and it’s golden brown on top.
Give Me Some Love and Feedback!
I’m always open to suggestions for improvement if you have any for me.
If you liked my recipe, let me know in the comments section!
Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my Vegan Quinoa Mac N’ Cheese Recipe. Stay tuned for more healthy vegan recipes on my site.