Last Updated on April 29, 2020 by Monica Nelson
Roasted vegetables are so versatile. They make the perfect vegan choice for lunches, dinner, sides and snacks.
They go with pretty much any meal and can be so delicious when done just right.
Oven roasted veggies are such a staple in our house, and so cheap to make on a plant-based diet. You might be thinking this is a totally basic recipe, but I’ve added my own twist that is sure to become a favorite in your family too!
When Did I First Use This Recipe?
I first came across this idea when I was in the middle of training to qualify as a personal trainer. The long days meant it was super late when I got to eat, so taking healthy snacks and a big lunch to have quickly at work was a must as we didn’t get much time in between clients and classes.
These are a perfect on-the-go filling lunch and satisfying your cravings for something fried and sweet. Honey also works perfectly if you’re not following a vegan diet.
The Start of My Nut Butter Obsession!
Finding out that peanut butter was the best addition to this healthy meal was certainly trial and error! I tried it with all sorts of sauces and spices before trying peanut butter. That’s when I realized the slightly sweet and nutty taste was just what I was looking for with the veggies!
That, and I’m a nut butter addict.
You could even try almond or cashew butter with them. I’ve even seen special ones like almond and coconut or pecan and maple!
Adding peanut butter into the mix means these are packed with the healthy-fats our bodies want, and keep us fuller for longer. When I was working in the gym, I’d sometimes take these in with some avocado on the side for a mix of flavors and get more of my healthy fats in. But, you can add some salad or rice on the side to make it more of a substantial meal.
As Always, Feel Free to Freestyle This Recipe!
You can try this with any vegetables you like- squash, potatoes, carrots, aubergine, peppers, parsnips.
Pretty much most vegetables! There’s so many that work with this recipe, it’s a savior when you don’t have much in the cupboard or want to use up what you have. And, it’s super super easy and doesn’t take much time at all.
Give it a go and let me know what you think, or if you switch the recipe up! I love seeing everyone trying my recipes and what they come up with.
My Most Popular Post:
Moni’s Roasted Vegetables with Peanut Butter Recipe
- 2 Sweet potatoes (or frozen), sliced.
- 3-4 Carrots, sliced.
- 2 Parsnips, sliced.
- 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- 3 Heaped tablespoons of peanut butter
- Handful of sea salt
- (a few sprigs of rosemary, optional)
- Set your oven to 400F/ 200 C/ 180C fan oven and put ¼-½ of the olive oil in the roasting tin or baking sheet.
- Put the tin in the oven to heat up for 5 minutes before adding the vegetables.
- Once your vegetables are chopped, mix the sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips (plus any others you’re using) in a bowl with the remaining oil and peanut butter- really make sure you coat them all!
- Add the coated vegetables to your preheated roasting tin and season generously with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, keeping an eye on them.